Source: Mooresville Animal Hospital

 

Mooresville Animal Hospital shared some great and important tips for pet safety during the holiday season we wanted to pass along to help keep all your pets safe.

 

 

Christmas Trees

Pets, especially cats, may try to climb on or play with the lights and ornaments on Christmas trees, causing potential for the tree to tip over. In order to secure the tree, it is suggested to consider tying your tree with fishing line to either the ceiling or a door frame. Another important factor to think about is any water additives added to the water for any real trees. These water additives can be hazardous to your pets. Do not add any aspirin, sugar, or anything to the water for your tree.

 

 

 

Ornaments

Ornaments can be hazardous for pets as broken ornaments can cause injury if ingested, such as intestinal blockage and possible toxicity. It is advised to keep any homemade ornaments, especially those made with salt-dough or other food-based materials, out of reach of pets.

 

 

 

      

Holiday Decorations

Tinsel and other various holiday decorations may be tempting for your pets to eat. These kinds of decorations can cause intestinal blockages if consumed and may even require surgery.

 

 

 

 

 

Electric Lights

Electric lights can cause burns to your pet if they curiously chew on the cords.

 

 

 

 

                    

Flowers and Festive Plants

Certain flowers and festive plants are toxic or harmful to pets and can result in emergency  veterinary care if your pets get hold of them and consume them. Plants such as Amaryllis, mistletoe, balsam, cedar, pine, and holly are among the common holiday plants that can be dangerous and even poisonous to pets. The ASPCA offers a list of plants that are toxic to both cats and dogs. (Link here: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants)

 

 

 

Candles

Never leave a pet unaccompanied in an area with a lit candle. Pets are curious and this could result in a fire.

 

 

 

 

Potpourris

Potpourris should be kept out of reach of pets. Liquid potpourris contain essential oils and detergents that can severely damage your pet’s mouth, eyes, and skin. Solid potpourris could cause possible harm if consumed.

 

Share This